Sometimes in this thing called the “writing life” you can’t help but be annoyed by the things going on in the profession you wish to be a part of. Call it jealousy in some cases or just being a jerk, but as a budding writer I find the following things to be discouraging, frustrating, and downright irksome (plus Part Two and Part Three):
- People with less talent/skill getting published and recognized for mediocre work. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for people who have success, but it really puts a dampener on things when you’re trying your butt off just to get your foot in the door and the people whose work you’ve actually read and wondered “how the hell did this get published” are simply doing better than you.
- People with more talent/skill not succeeding. I know several people who are actually better writers than me. I’m enormously jealous of them because they have a grasp of the craft that I don’t. Most of them are much younger than me, haven’t been doing it very long, and generally have little self-esteem about it, which is tremendously unfortunate. So when I see these talented writers who have a gift, who are better than me, and they aren’t doing well or don’t know what to do, I’m put in a position where I want to help, but I’m also disheartened that they aren’t doing well when they’re trying.
- Vampires without fangs. Sorry, that should be illegal. Yes, we should pass a law that bans this practice. It’s literary rape and the poor vampires can’t defend themselves. I’m setting up a charity next week…
- People who try to explain away cliches by calling them something else. There’s a reason why it’s called a cliche. The Creationism people didn’t get away with changing their name to Intelligent Design. What makes you think you can get away with something similar?
- People who write science fiction, but refuse to acknowledge it (Margaret Atwood, I’m looking at you). If you wrote a science fiction novel, then that’s all there is to it. You wrote it. Accept it. Hell, even embrace it! Trying to pretend that your novel isn’t science fiction because it’s literary is about as intelligent as Bush trying to explain why OBGYNs aren’t allowed to share their love with women.
There you have it! What about you? Any irksome things you can think of regarding other writers?