I’m going to Puerto Rico! I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it…
OK, enough of that…
I’ve got good reason to be, too. I’ve never been to Puerto Rico, so the second I found out about it, I bought a membership and began planning. The crazy thing: they gave me a TON to do while I’m there, including running an interview panel with one of my favorite authors: Tobias Buckell!
Before I give you my schedule, I do want to remind potential readers and attendees that I’m a podcaster. I run The Skiffy and Fanty Show, and I will be open to recording discussions and interviews at NASFiC. So, if you’re an author, fan, creative type, or whatever and you’d like to be interviewed, hit me up!
Alright. Here’s my schedule:
- TH 18:00 – San Geronimo Social Justice and SFF: It’s been there from the beginning.
- Social Justice Warriors are destroying SFF with these new-fangled ideas! Um, no. SFF has always been used as a tool to examine social and political issues. Come discuss how works like 1984, Brave New World, Animal Farm, and the Handmaid’s Tale explore oppressive regimes, and what, if any hope SFF can give us. (bilingual)
- Panelists: Shaun Duke, Marie Guthrie (m), Isabel Schechter, Javier Grillo-Marxuach
- FR 11:00 – San Geronimo A Chat with Tobias Buckell
- Shaun Duke interviews GoH Tobias Buckell
- Panelists: Tobias S. Buckell, Shaun Duke
- FR 13:00 – San Cristobal Whitewashing and White Savior Fail: How did Benedict, Tilda, and ScarJo become people of color?
- Avatar, the James Cameron version and the Last Airbender one. The new Star Trek 2nd movie. Doctor Strange. Ghost in the Shell. Iron Fist. These and more feature POC characters, yet when they are made into movies and tv, the actors cast are always white. Let’s discuss why this is and why representation matters. (bilingual)
- Panelists: Shaun Duke, Isabel Schechter (m), Javier Grillo-Marxuach, Pablo Vazquez
- FR 14:00 – San Geronimo We Need Diverse Books
- You’ve been reading white authors all your life. Maybe you don’t even think about it. But you need to get your hands on these great and diverse stories. (bilingual)
- Panelists: Shaun Duke (m), Helen Gbala, Daína Chaviano
- SA 13:00 – Laguna SFF in television
- SFF has taken over the small screen. With so many excellent shows to choose from, how does a fan decide what is worth the weekly wait, and what should you binge-watch to get ready for the next season? (bilingual)
- Panelists: Javier Grillo-Marxuach, Emma England, Shaun Duke (m), Juan Sanmiguel
- SA 15:00 – Bahia 1 Latin American SF
- Join our panelists for a conversation about Latin American SF and a discussion on authors or works that mix different country’s traditions and customs within the genre. (bilingual)
- Panelists: Shaun Duke (m), Berto Melendez, Daína Chaviano, Matthew David Goodwin
I will be gone all day Sunday as I explore the glories of the rainforest. If you’re interested in taking a less people-filled trek through the woods with me, I’m game for a little company.