Open Road Media is running a sort of awareness campaign / sale for novels which essentially defy categorization. There are quite a few interesting books on the list, so in case you’re interested in that sort of thing, here are the details:
Jonathan Carroll. Edward Whittemore. Robert R. McCammon. James Morrow. All of these authors have written novels that defy our understanding of conventional genres. More than just literary fiction, these novels rejoice in the fantastic and the sublime.
Since their initial publication, many of these stories have been categorized as science fiction, fantasy, magical realism, and “other.”
This week, Open Road Media is celebrating these tales of the in-between. Novels that, for one reason or another, refuse to be categorized.
We encourage you to take a look at the ten ebooks we’ve selected and expand your conception of genre fiction. The titles with the asterisk* will be on sale for $3.99 or less until August 20th.
1. The Summer Isles* by Ian R. MacLeod
2. From the Teeth of Angels by Jonathan Carroll
3. Black Light by Elizabeth Hand
4. Sinai Tapestry* by Edward Whittemore
5. The Eighth Square* by Herbert Lieberman
6. Expiration Date* by Tim Powers
7. Mine by Robert R. McCammon
8. The Broken Land* by Ian McDonald
9. The Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow
10. The Long Trial of Nolan Dugatti by Stephen Graham Jones
Cross genre boundaries and join the conversation this week. Feel free to share your thoughts on your site, or contribute to ours. Even our authors are speaking out. “The real reason I write across genre lines,” explains Stephen Graham Jones,” “is because I want to see cool stuff.”
You can find details about the books on sale here.
There’s an interesting question behind all of this: what are some of your favorite genre-bending stories? And so that’s the question I’ll leave you all with:
What are some of your favorite genre-bending novels, short stories, or films?