First things first, an explanation of the totals. I haven’t been keeping track of the totals all year, so these are, more or less, only totals since October. I’ve written considerably more when you take into account that I finished WISB this year, among other projects. So the totals are:
Words Written: 26,855
Words Edited: 44,200
Rejections: 4 (2 pending)
Next year is going to be much better though. I have several short stories waiting to be edited, a lot of stuff still being written, etc.
Now for my New Years Resolutions. Well, these aren’t really resolutions, but more like “things I want to do for ’08”:
- Start The Spellweaver of Dern (book two of the Satin Bag series) and finish it by October (130,000 words).
- Start Wellmere (working title) with my girlfriend and get about halfway by this time ’08 (100,000 words).
- Finish Marx Ignatia (25,000 words).
- Submit Death By Poking, Asher, Marx Ignatia, and any others sitting in limbo.
- Get published (with anything really, but preferably with a short story).
- Finish The Lies of Venicia by summer (95,000 words).
- Step up my writing ten-fold. That means write more, submit more, and finish more novels.
- Read a lot of review books (this is sort of a given).
- Read more young adult fantasy/sf (yes, I actually would love to read more stuff in this genre, but I’ve not received much yet and I don’t really know where to go to request review copies for this stuff–maybe someone could throw my name out?).
- Get good grades (also sort of a given).
- Figure out where I want to go for graduate school (yes, I actually have to think about this even though I just got here because my adviser told me I could technically graduate in fall of ’08).
- Fly to England to visit my girlfriend.
- Sell a bunch of stuff I don’t need anymore (pay attention to my ebay because I’m going to put up a bunch of books, dvds, cds, etc. in the next few weeks).
- Start and podcast. I actually really want to do this and Lindsey, my girlfriend, thought it sounded fun. We might do it. I’m hoping so. We have to talk about it more though.
I think that’s it…I might edit that list at some point later. 2008 is looking to be a ‘writerly’ year for me. I’m trying to step things up considerably. I’m getting close to graduating and I have a lot to think about…
Happy New Year by the way!